Saturday, October 27, 2007

My STINT curse

Ok, they told us it would be difficult living overseas, adjusting to a new culture, and learning a different language - but they didn't tell me that I would be unable to control emotions.

My STINT curse - I cry at least once every two weeks. Now, please know that this is not because I don't want to be in Italy, or because I'm extremely homesick. It happens more during discussions at team meetings, typically when discussing how we relate. This bothered me at first - feeling unable to control tears that in the States I could deal with. But now I've decided it's ok to be emotional and it's just how I deal with STINT. Some people withdraw, some jump right in, and I have less control over my waterworks. Gratefully, my team is ok with this aspect of my processing, and are very supportive. (I think it's because they weren't the first to crack - but their time will come.)

On a different note - we gave out over 2000 flyers on campus the last 3 days publicizing Ognistudente.com (check out everystudent.com for the english equivalent). It's amazing how exhausting passing out flyers can be. We put a sodoku puzzle on each flyer - which helped keep people from throwing them away. When we showed our friends at MLK, they all gathered around to teach Luca how to do the puzzle... it's was so funny! They would spend 3 minutes explaining, then ask if he understood... he would respond with a simple "no" and the explanation continued. This happened for about 10-15 minutes.

Pray that students would check out the website and be challenged in their ideas on spirituality and accept Jesus as their savior!

2 comments:

Kat said...

awww maybe your eyes just need cleaning more often than everybody else! ;)

and yay for flyers! Luca's so funny!

Anonymous said...

oh sweet tiffany - i'll bet a dollar you ain't got nuthin' on sarah love. just ask katherine.

but in all seriousness - i've been there. and it's ok to just cry it out. you're not a basketcase. you're not crazy. you're not a bubbling cauldron of uncontrollable emotion that nobody in the world could possibly put up with. you happen to be doing ministry in a very spiritually dark place. just cry out to God like David and the other psalmists did. "Trust in God at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." (Ps. 62:8)